Monday, April 13, 2009

I Wish...


You are struck in a traffic jam. Honking doesn’t help. Tempers flaring high. Frustration building inside. It is just you and your vehicle and the stupid old Red Light!!!

I still vividly remember the day while I was coming back from an outing with one of my close friends. It was one of those burning hot May Day when the Sun was shining way too brightly on top of us. We had decided to go out simply because it was DAY of freedom- Exams had finished and we had nothing better to do so we decided to strike it out. After traveling the whole of Delhi, that day, it was 6 in the evening when we started back to our respective places of safe haven. I boarded an auto thinking I would reach home swiftly in another 30 minutes but alas, I completely forgot about the horrendous Delhi jam. And during the office hours it is at its height. My autowallah turned off his gurgling vehicle and waited impatiently for the huge cars to start moving ahead. I was busy fixing my antique MP3 player when I heard a tap-tap sound. I looked around but could not figure out what it was or where that soft sound came from. Concentrating back on my mechanistic skills, I began fiddling with my MP3 yet again and there came a bang-bang sound. I again looked up curiously and to my surprise I found a little baby in a swanky Honda City playing with the window pane and banging hard on the glass. Its Pay-Attention-To-Me attitude impressed me so much so that I began staring at him intently. Like an interested spectator, I witnessed his juggling skills and tumbling over and what not. His naïve smile with fingers rolled up on his eyes, made me wonder… "Waooh... you are so lucky kid!!! You don't have to face the hurdles of life! You have a long way to go! And you can afford to enjoy, kick and smile! I envy you! Wish I was a kid again…. Wish I could get back my childhood yet again… Wish I could have those carefree days again in my life…. I spent the next 15 minutes watching his extra-ordinary kiddish antiques.


Suddenly the Honda City swooshed past me and the age-old Auto roared back to life. I realized the jam was clearing out. The child was gone and so was my smile. It was back to the grind. Tension loomed large. “I hope I reach safely back home. It was already past 7. Notorious Delhi and its traffic… Phew!!! “, my mind grumbled. This is ADULT LIFE.


Any takers???

24 comments:

  1. Embedding ideas with a tinge of thoughtfulness in simple events. And curtailing it at perfect length. Characteristics of a good writer. nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    I hope you don't mind me saying, but there are a lot of grammatical errors in this post.
    You also seem to capitalize quite unnecessarily. Any reason?
    Red Light,Sun
    May Day= *May days

    on top of us.= *over us
    horrendous Delhi jam.= *horrendous Delhi traffic
    antique and antics.
    mechanistic= *mechanical (better suited, I would suggest)

    Ive been struggling with my grammar and pronunciation too, off late. Im a horrible mix of Amer-Brit. So im always taking extra pains to check myself.

    Looking forward to more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Thanks for pointing out... :) Appreciate it. I have this very bad tendecy of capitalisign things just to put that extra-emphasis on the things I wish to highlight.. :) In future I will try to jot down as normally as possible!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a refreshingly nice post!
    Its too true though...we forget the little things that gave us joy as children when we grow up. Sad! Never grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post...don't mind but u remind me of my style of writing ( if i can call that) with those capital letters & stuffs..but a great post...tc....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. Yes, babies are always so lovable. But really, I don't want to be a kid again. I don't want to face all those exams all over again!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Children are so naive and innocent ,totally unaware of lifes pressures.
    http://cutestangel.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! Its a lovely post! True! When you see babies, kids, and their innocence.. I actually want to be near a baby rather than be one again, cos, like Aparajita said, school life again? Awww no! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so heartening to see children, or to spend time with them. After a long day's work, when you look at a child's smile you remember your own childhood for a while :)

    Lovely post swati.

    Quick question though. Are your three blogs based on different themes ?I saw all three, and thought of commenting on the most recent one:)

    Cheers,
    adisha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm when you are young, you want to grow old quickly. When you are old you then wish you could become a kid again! Clearly a case of finding the other side greener always. But then that is life. Enjoy it while you can! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. they say the grass always looks greener on the other side...

    when I was a kid, i remember i envied adults for their freedom to do anything they wanted to, and the repect they had simply for being older.

    and today i wish i was a kid, coz they dont have the stress and responsibilities we have.

    wonder how the oldies feel

    Cheers
    CRD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post swati.
    Who would like to grow up by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kids!! Yeah...they always look cool behind the glass!

    jokin!!
    hey! nice post
    keep em comin!
    ___
    ~Sorcerer~
    www.evilsfury.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. gud one god one.. damn delhi traffic can make anyone go mad but u seem to get a control on the thoughts.. nice writeup.. though am not very fascinated by kids n prob that would b the last thing i wil ever notice.. but then hope u had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Dame
    @Raj
    @Aparajita
    @Angel from Heavan
    @Asha

    Thanks soo much... guess what growing up has its charm of its own... I just need to get hold of this adult life very soon n stop poking my nose in every kid's life... I did not not have anything better to do that evening while being stuck in that damn traffic.. lol.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Ash D and Cris

    Eggjactly... Life is soo weird and complicated..!!! we never can have enough of it.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. @tasu... welll I wish I could just remain kid at heart foreve.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ankit.. thanks...!!! :)

    @sorcerer..lol.. appreciate your comment..!!! :D

    @Adisha... all the three posts present three different angles of my haywire thinking.. :P

    @Shruti... man.. delhi traffic can get on your nerves so badly.. so much so that it drives me to the wall fo frustration.. phew..!!! thanks for your comment.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. quite interesting... and i loved the pic u used of that cute lil boy... it set the mood perfectly...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jams though painful give us sometime to sit back and catch up with ourselves..You don't want to get caught up in a jam but when you do it indicates they we need to just sit back and talk to ourselves..and in the end a jam though nerve wrecking it should be an exciting experience...

    ReplyDelete
  21. mood uplifting material!!!
    gives me a feel good factor!! :)
    keep going!!
    yojita
    www.charizma.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome !! And so true... I really like your style of writing... keep it up =)

    ReplyDelete

Say Something to me!!!